By: Khashaf & Seema Bloggers
The fall semester of 2017 has been an eventful semester with many fun-filled functions and activities held at Skyline University College, one of the accredited universities in UAE that offers degree courses in Sharjah.
2. Jasmine Brett Stringer Meet & Greet: On the 7th of November 2017, Skyline's Library Department headed by Mr. Sheikh Maideen hosted Jasmine Brett Stringer, renowned American author, lifestyle expert and motivational speaker. She gave an inspirational talk to the community of Skyline University College students, faculty and staff. Jasmine is the author of "Seize Your Life: How to Carpe Diem Every Day" – a book full of lessons, helpful tips on life improvement and inspiring stories. A book signing and an author interview was also conducted afterwards. For book lovers, this was such a great event to attend to and her talk motivated students to improve their life.
3. Lecture by Jean-Luc Scherer: Regular lectures by external speakers are frequently held at Skyline to maintain their education system with top universities in UAE. Such lectures help students to gain knowledge outside of class through people who are part of the corporate world of UAE. Innoopolis Founder and CEO Mr. Jean-Luc Scherer was the guest lecture at the Innovation course class of SUC Assistant Professor, Dr. Kakul Agha on 8th October 2017. Mr. Jean-Luc is an active member of local Startup community. He is a trained innovation coach and mentors at Flat6Labs, Turn8 and In5. The session focused on highlighting the significance of innovation in the world today. He identified different types of innovation with examples of each. He also introduced innovative thinking skills that can help come up with fresh out of the box ideas.
4. Introbash: As a welcome party for the freshmen students of Skyline, the Events Committee organized an event for them to break the ice and form new friendships. The party was held at the Movenpick Hotel, Oud Metha, Dubai on the 12th of October. The theme chosen was the Great Gatsby and it was so beautifully done. Games and fun activities among the people made it so much fun. Muhammad Salman Nawaz and Thurayah Hisham Jamil Kohail were crowned as Mr. and Ms. Fresher 2017.
5. 4th Inter-School Young Business Talent Hunt 2017: Skyline University College with the support of The Young Vision Magazine hosted the 4th Inter-school Young business Talent Hunt 2017 from 16th to 18th October 2017. Around 250 teams from over 37 schools across UAE took part in the talent hunt. The three day event covered three categories of competition: New Business Plan, New Mobile Application and New Advertising Design. Innovative ideas, models and practices were presented by students. The skyline management arranged fun games as stress relievers for the students between the breaks. The event ended with a grand awards ceremony with the SUC Founder President, Mr. Kamal Puri as the Chief Guest. After the distribution of awards, Mr. Kamal Puri praised and motivated the students to work towards transforming their ideas into application.
6. Annual Blood Donation: Skyline's Services Committee chaired by Dr. Taleb Eli organized its annual Blood Donation Camp in cooperation with the Ministry of Health, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates on 26th of October 2017. Many students and faculty members participated in the event and donated their blood. The event promotes wellbeing and sacrifice for those in need.
7. Skyline Fitness Challenge: As part of the Fitness Challenge hosted by Sheikh Hamdaan (30 x 30), Skyline University College hosted a fitness challenge on the 14th of November for the students, staff and faculty members. Thirty minutes of exercises included plank, burpees, push-ups, squats, sit-ups, and 100-meter sprints. It was a great way to energize students and stay fit.
8. 27th Graduation Ceremony: Skyline University College celebrated its 27th Graduation ceremony, more than 300 students representing 25 nationalities successfully received their BBA and MBA degrees on 16th of November 2017 at the University City Hall, University City, Sharjah. The Chief Guest of the ceremony was Sheikh Sultan bin Ahmed Al Qassimi. The highlight of the event was the flag march done by the students of Skyline, carrying flags for all nationalities that are graduating. Student of the year was awarded to Saqar Ahmed Ali Omran Al Ali, Summa Cum Laude in MBA with emphasis on E-Governance and Dmytro Fedrov, Cum Laude in BBA Major in International Business.
9. Iceland Waterpark trip for hostel students: Students away from home, staying in the university's hostel were taken on a field trip to the Ice Land Waterpark in Ras Al Khaimah on the 25th of November where they spent the whole day enjoying the wonderful weather and thrilling rides.
10. A Panel Discussion of Women Empowerment: Joining hands with Danube Group, Skyline University organized Woman of Substance: A Panel Discussion on Women Empowerment on November 27, 2017 at the Skyline campus. Dr. Kakul Agha, acting as the moderator of the session helped the audience better understand the topic under discussion. Three influential women from UAE took part in the panel discussion: Dr. Zulekha Daud, Managing Director of Zulekha Hospitals; Dr. Sana Sajan from Danube Groups Danube Welfare Centre.; and Ms. Hessa Taher of Sharjah Entrepreneurship Centre (Sheraa). The discussion targeted to provide awareness regarding the obstacles women face today and how to encourage them and make them believe in their power. The empowered women help the audience gain knowledge about the strengths of women and how they can change the world.
11. Skyline Carnival 2017: Skyline Carnival 2017 celebrated on 1st December, was a night full of festivity. The event started with the inauguration done by cake cutting and releasing of balloons by the Founder of Skyline, Mr. Kamal Puri. Schools and universities around UAE presented amazing performances in different competition categories; Battle of the bands, Photography, Eastern and Western Dance, Duet Singing and Fashion Show. Along with this, the country stall made the event more fun filled. The night ended with a rocking concert by Coke studio sensation Umair Jaswal and UAE's budding artist Mustafa Khan.
12. Display of Innovation projects: The Skyline Entrepreneurship and Innovation Club (SEIC) held the 2nd Innovation project for BBA students for their innovation course in the Fall Semester. On 6th December, thirty six groups of students, with the help of Dr. Kakul, presented their innovative ideas through posters, non-working models, mobile applications and websites. Internal as well as external judges took part in recognizing and analyzing the innovations.
Each semester at Skyline arranges events that allow students to engage in activities outside of class. Gaining knowledge and experience through lectures and learning through working as a team in huge events both help students in their educational as well as social life. Skyline aims to continue with such events in upcoming semesters for students to recognize their capabilities and push themselves further towards becoming an all-rounder.