Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational organization that teaches public speaking and leadership skills through a worldwide network of meeting locations. Headquartered in Rancho Santa Margarita, California, the organization has more than 260,000 members in over 12,500 clubs in 113 countries. Skyline Toastmasters club is one among them. Toastmasters International has helped people of all backgrounds become more confident in front of an audience.
ii. COORDINATION WITH TMI
The EXCOM (Executive Committee) comprises of 4 faculty members who have the direct access to the Head Quarters by which the new registrations, annual fee payments and annual renewals are done.
iii. JOINING SKYLINE TOASTMASTERS CLUB
If students at Skyline wish to become the members of this club, they approach English Language Centre and register themselves. They will get a starter's kit from the Headquarters.
BENEFITS OF JOINING SKYLINE TOASTMASTERS CLUB
- Give better presentations
- Enhance communication skills
- Hone their soft skills
- Learn to work in teams
- Present effective ideas
- Conduct meetings
- Listen better
- Develop their leadership potential
ACTIVITIES OF THE CLUB
- Giving everyone an opportunity to practice speeches in every meeting.
- Giving impromptu speeches: Members have the opportunity to present one- to two-minute impromptu speeches on assigned topics.
- Presenting prepared speeches: Three or more members present speeches based on projects from Toastmasters manuals, covering topics such as speech organization, humor, voice, language, gestures and persuasion.
- Offering constructive evaluation: Every speaker is assigned an evaluator who points out speech strengths and suggestions for improvement. This peer evaluation element is key to the success of the Toastmasters program. It gives members the confidence to progress one step at a time toward becoming the speaker and leader they want to be.